Monday, September 20, 2021


Local Activist Worried Over Alphabet Problem

“Naming the Covid variants by letters of the Greek alphabet is a good idea,” said local activist Larry Gomorka. It makes them easy to tell apart and lets you apply the right details to each. I understand the Delta variant is more contagious that the previous variant – was that Gamma? – and even some vaccinated people are getting infected with it.

“Now I’m reading about the Mu variant,” said Gomorka. “But what about all the Greek letters between delta and mu? There are seven. I could name them if you want. OK: epsilon, zeta, eta, theta, iota, kappa, lambda.

“What about those?” said Gomorka. “Why were they skipped? Is there some kind of discrimination going on there?

“Then there are 11 more letters between mu and omega,” said Gomorka. “I could name them if you want. OK: nu, xi, omicron, pi, rho, sigma, tau, upsilon, phi, chi, psi. Omega is the end. What do you do after that? Go to letters in some other ancient language?

“I don’t know,” said Gomorka, “it’s all Greek to me.”