Monday, January 27, 2020


City Council Welcomes Homeless to Encinitas

“Let them ride bikes,” said Mayor Catherine Blakespear. “When we transition homeless people sleeping in their cars in the Leichtag lot to real homes, we can get them out of their cars and onto bikes.”

“Income inequality in Encinitas is a huge issue,” said Councilwoman Jody Hubbard. “By welcoming homeless people to Encinitas, we will add more low-income residents to the mix. That will help create a better balance between the high and low ends of the income spectrum.”

“The Encinitas population is too homogenous,” said Deputy Mayor Kellie Shay Hinze. “By inviting more homeless people to our city, we’ll increase diversity. Many homeless people are capable and colorful. Their presence will be a great benefit for our community.”

“Before I state my position on the Leichtag Commons homeless parking lot, let me suck up to everybody who has participated,” said Councilman Joe Mosca. “Thank you to the Leichtag and JFS people. Thank you to my council colleagues. Thank you to the city staff for your important work. Thank you to members of the public who attended Wednesday night or contacted me by email or phone. And that means opponents as well as proponents.

“Rather than repeating for this post everything I said at the meeting and going on ad infinitum,” Mosca continued, “let me simply state my conclusion: I do believe that it’s an important step that will make a difference in helping those who are living on our streets, which is why I support this program. And that applies even though the program is for people living in their cars anywhere in North County.”

“Well, I was the odd man out again,” said Councilman Tony Kranz. “I like the idea of providing overnight parking for the homeless but not at Leichtag. Maybe my position will help me get reelected in November.”