Monday, February 10, 2020



Encinitas City Council Tests Homeless Parking Lot

“Because I’m so close to my constituents,” said Encinitas Mayor Catherine Blakespear, “I thought it would be fitting for the council members to experience the new homeless overnight parking lot on the city-leased Leichtag property. I asked my four colleagues for their thoughts and they agreed, so we tested the lot shortly after Jewish Family Service began accepting overnight guests.”

“While I think a homeless shelter that provides bathing facilities and other amenities is a more compassionate way to go,” said Deputy Mayor Kellie Hinze, “a safe, secure overnight parking lot is a good start. I joined the mayor and my other three colleagues on sleepover test night.”

“First I want to thank the mayor and the other council members for their participation,” said Councilman Joe Mosca. “I also want to thank the Leichtag and Jewish Family Service people for their compassion and volunteerism. They have stepped up to meet the challenge to help people who are down on their luck. However, like the mayor’s school-age children, my two boys refused to sleep in my car overnight on the Leichtag property. I had to respect their wishes. I bundled up against the cold and spent test night alone in my car in the lot.”

“For a more complete homeless experience,” said Councilman Tony Kranz, “I slept in my electric car in the lot, ate day-old donuts from Leucadia Donuts in the morning before the lot’s scheduled closing time, and showered at the Y across the street. The overnight stay affirmed my preference to allow homeless parking at other lots in Encinitas. Although my Alaska homeless period was brief, it gave me empathy for the homeless plight. Providing overnight parking lots is the least we can do as a city. I support doing more.”

“As an accountant,” said Councilwoman Jody Hubbard, “my not joining my four council colleagues in the homeless parking lot overnight stay did not add up. It was a test I was happy to perform even though the Leichtag property is not in my district. Actually, I was quite surprised to get such a good night’s sleep. I brought a flashlight so I could keep up on reading city documents between sundown and my usual bedtime.”