Sunday, November 15, 2020

Mayor Blakespear to Open Encinitas Pot Shop

“Although the vote on Measure H is close,” said Encinitas Mayor Catherine Blakespear, “the margin between yes and no is big enough that it’s likely the measure will pass. Since only four pot shop licenses will be granted in Encinitas, I wanted to jump in early to ensure I get one.”

At post time, the margin between Measure H yes and no votes was 876. That’s a 2.24% spread with 11,000 votes left to tally countywide. It’s not known how many of that number are from Encinitas. Counts on recent days have increased the margin.

“I see owning a pot shop as a way to be close to and understand our city’s business community,” said Blakespear. “It’s difficult to truly understand a group’s interests without being a member. Running a retail business in Encinitas will give me an insider’s view.

“I considered other types of businesses before deciding on a pot shop,” said Blakespear. “Along with having so many restaurants, beer joints, bars and coffee places already, COVID made opening another look too risky. Pot shops in other cities in the county are doing well. Since we have none in Encinitas, the venture looked like a sure success.

“I’ll keep Encinitans up to date as my pot shop develops,” said Blakespear. “I look forward to my grand opening and seeing you all as customers.”