Sunday, November 1, 2020



Make Encinitas Great Again, Again — Vote to Keep Me as Your Mayor

I’ve been here for 100 years. No, wait, I’m delusional. My family has been here 100 years.

I’m the developers’ pal. I want to Make Encinitas Great Again, Again. You must re-elect me as your mayor so I can do that.

We can help solve the climate crisis by building more and denser housing in Encinitas. It’s common sense. More people packed together more tightly will release fewer GHG emissions. It’s the same as more cattle on less acreage burping and farting less methane.

My hands are tied when the city is up against state law. But it’s not a B&D thing. State law prevails over local ordinances, and there’s nothing we can do about it.

I know better than you. That’s why I don’t listen to residents and can do whatever I want. I’m sure you know that whenever the council faces an important decision, we don’t wait for the meeting. We decide ahead of time.

At council meetings, residents can talk until they run out of wind. They can appeal our land-use decisions, but it doesn’t matter. We’re not listening. We’ve already decided. The hearings are fake. We’re just going through the motions so it seems our local government is a democracy.

I’m all about power. It’s a drug I like. I welcome the Verdu and Gonzalez PAC money behind my re-election. The city’s $250-per-person limit is piddly. Only the PAC money lets me roll out the big artillery.

One of the ways I exercise power is to have fewer but longer council meetings. Residents get bored or tired and log off or go home. There’s weaker opposition and less the council has to pretend to listen to.

But the ultimate power is my ability to sue residents who refuse to bow to my will. The city attorney is at my disposal, and the city has bucks the residents don’t.

Of course, the real purpose of the Prop A lawsuit is to let a simple majority of the council make land-use decisions. Now it takes a super majority or unanimity. That and the pesky Prop A are in the way. I want them gone. They’re frustrating my big development plans.

Even though COVID has hurt city tax revenue, we still have a surplus. That’s how we can commit $7.3 million for the first phase of Leucadia Streetscape.

Then there’s the homeless problem. Everybody knows that experiencing homelessness is different from being homeless. Whatever you call it, it persists. Attracting more homeless people to our city will reduce the number experiencing homelessness.

I want you to re-elect me as your mayor so I can continue to destroy what makes Encinitas a fabulous place to live. And besides, if I’m not mayor, I wouldn’t know what to do. I don’t want to go back to being an estate-planning lawyer or a journalist. That’s behind me. What I want ahead is another term as mayor and to become SANDAG chair. Beyond that, who knows? The sky’s the limit.

Vote for me, Catherine Blakespear. Keep me as mayor of Encinitas.