Monday, January 3, 2022






Olivenhain Declared a No Fly Zone

The mystery began about a week or two ago when bumper stickers reading “Swat the Fly!” started turning up in Olivenhain. Now the puzzle has continued with bumper stickers reading “No Fly Zone” appearing in that same Encinitas enclave.

“I’ve seen both them stickers,” said Carter Hay, “but I can’t claim to know what they mean. I don’t s’pose anybody would be for flies, but I don’t see how bumper stickers would get rid of ’em.”

“Are those stickers the magnetic kind or the stick-on kind?” said Jack Lone. “If they’re magnetic, they’d be a lot easier to remove by a vigilante who doesn’t like them. I’m not sure what they mean, but for me it’s a free-speech thing. If somebody wants to go public for swatting flies or banning them, they have a Constitutional right to do that.”

“I don’t know what valuable purpose the fly serves in the complex web of life,” said Bryce Aylers. “What with all the tragic species extinctions bulldozing through life on Earth, it would be perilous and irresponsible to delete the fly without knowing what unstoppable chain effect it might have on the entire web. The bumper stickers could be advocating a disastrous route. That doesn’t mean I’ll remove the screens on my home’s doors and windows.”